While doing some research on various topics, we came across this 1913 advertisement for the subdivision of Corfield Farm, which had been established by George Corfield and, until 1913, had been one of the largest family run farms in the Duncan area.
Using the map in the above advertisement, we have tried to replicate the location on this Google Map by using the South Cowichan Lawn Tennis Club, 2290 Cowichan Bay Road, located at the intersection of Cowichan Bay Road and Tzouhalem Road, as a central location since it is located within the area shown in the advertisement map of the Corfield Farm subdivision.
Here is a Google Street View of what the area of Corfield farm looks like today:
In 1913, when the subdivision of their family’s Corfield Farm was being undertaken, Norman Tressidor Corfield was building the Duncan Garage for his automobile dealership and garage business, Duncan Garage Ltd.
In 1929 Thomas Pitt retained architect Douglas James to design and build the present building at 231 Government Street as an offices for Thomas Pitt’s car dealership. Unfortunately, Thomas Pitt’s automobile dealership went bankrupt in the Great Depression.
Note the descriptions of the property: “Best fishing”; “Ask any Victoria man about the hunting”; “the largest and most interesting lake in Vancouver Island”; “unsurpassed as a tourist resort and must become the most popular of western Canada”
Also note the prices: $5.500 to $6,250 for 20 acres of waterfront property.
As part of our series on Historic Duncan Advertisements, here is a 1930 advertisement for Vancouver Island Coach Lines showing the Duncan bus schedules at the time.
“A Streak of Orange…The Staccato Hum of the Exhaust, and It’s Gone!” LOL! It is unlikely any transportation company today would be advertising about “The Staccato Hum of the Exhaust” or “A Streak of Orange”. As for the “Streak of Orange” we are guessing the Vancouver Island Coach Lines buses of the period were painted orange. We are looking for a colour photo from the period to confirm that.
Vancouver Island Coach LInes is now owned by Wilson’s Transportation.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?
As part of our series on Historic Duncan Advertisements, here is a July 1947 advertisement in the Cowichan Leader announcing the opening of Bucky’s Sport Shop, 171 Craig Street, at the corner of Craig Street and Kenneth Street.
Although the Arcade Building mentioned in the advertisement has been demolished, Bucky’s Sport Shop is still in business at the same location.