Architect Douglas James (1888-1962) maintained a practice in Duncan between the early 1920’s and the early 1940’s, when he moved to Victoria and entered into a architectural partnership with his brother,
Percy Leonard James.
a partial listing of his projects, compiled by a Canadian architectural history website.
During his time in Duncan, Douglas James designed several buildings which are still extant in
downtown Duncan and in Duncan’s residential districts.
Here are those Douglas James buildings that we are aware of, listed in chronological order by construction date:
45 Craig Street, Duncan, B.C., built in 1922 for Harold Fairfax Prevost, now Just Jake’s Restaurant
40 Ingram Street, built in 1923 as Duncan’s Fire Hall, now the Old Firehouse Wine Bar
Bazett Building, 161-165 Craig Street, built in 1924 for Charles Bazett by architect Douglas James
733 Wharnciffe Road, designed and built in 1928 by architect Douglas James for Claude and Edna Green
211 Craig Street, originally built as a bakery for former Duncan Mayor James C. Wragg
151-155 Craig Street, originally built in 1929 as the office and press building for the local Cowichan Leader newspaper.
231 Government Street, built in 1929 as an automobile dealership for Thomas Pitt, now Magnolia Accessories
Wragg Building, 127 Government Street, built in 1929 for James C. Wragg.
The former Canadian Legion building at 134 Government Street, built in 1939 by architect Douglas James for the Canadian Legion, Cowichan Branch
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?