1926 Advertisement For Dodge And The Dodge Dealer In Duncan, Thomas Pitt

Historic Duncan Advertisements

Automobile Advertisements 1920-1929

As part of our series on Historic Duncan Advertisements, Automobile Advertisements, 1920-1929 here is a 1926 advertisement for Dodge Brothers Motor Cars and its Victoria, Duncan and Vancouver Island dealers. In 1926,  the Dodge Brothers Motor Cars dealer in Duncan was Thomas Pitt, whose Duncan dealership was located at 261 Government Street, at the corner of Government Street and Kenneth Street.

1926 advertisement for Dodge Brother Motor Cars and the Dodge dealer in Duncan, Thomas Pitt (Duncan Sightseeing collection),
1926 advertisement for Dodge Brothers Motor Cars and the Dodge dealer in Duncan, Thomas Pitt (Duncan Sightseeing collection),

In 1929 Thomas Pitt retained architect Douglas James to design and build the present building at 231 Government Street as an offices for Thomas Pitt’s car dealership. Unfortunately, Thomas Pitt’s automobile dealership went bankrupt in the Great Depression.

231 Government Street, built in 1929 by architect Douglas James for Thomas Pitt's automobile dealership
231 Government Street, built in 1929 by architect Douglas James for Thomas Pitt‘s automobile dealership

We think the Thomas Pitt Dodge dealership was located at what is now 231 Government Street and 251 Government Street. Here is a map showing that location:

Here is a Google Street View image of 251 Government Street at Kenneth Street:

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?

 

1940 Advertisement For Salt Spring Island Ferry

Historic Duncan Advertisements
Transportation 1940-1949

As part of our series on Historic Duncan Advertisements and Historic Duncan Advertisements – Transportation here is a 1940 advertisement for the Salt Spring Island Ferry.

Note that in the days before BC Ferries, it was operated by a private company, the Gulf Islands Ferry Company Ltd.

1940 advertisement for the Salt Spring Island Ferry. In the days before BC Ferries, it was operated by the Gulf Islands Ferry Company Ltd. (Duncan Sightseeing collection)
1940 advertisement for the Salt Spring Island Ferry. In the days before BC Ferries, it was operated by the Gulf Islands Ferry Company Ltd. (Duncan Sightseeing collection)

Note that there were only two sailing per day but no sailings on Wednesday.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?

1912 Advertisement For Cowichan Lake Gardens

Historic Duncan Advertisements
Real Estate 1910-1919

As part of our series on Historic Duncan Advertisements and Historic Duncan Advertisements – Real Estate here is a 1912 advertisement from Abbott & Sutherland, a now defunct Victoria realty company, for Cowichan Lake Gardens, a then new subdivision “on the South Arm of the Beautiful Cowichan Lake with the Robertson River running through the Estate.”

1912 advertisement for the Cowichan Lake Gardens subdivision in Lake Cowichan (Duncan Sightseeing collection)
1912 advertisement for the Cowichan Lake Gardens subdivision in Lake Cowichan (Duncan Sightseeing collection)

Note the descriptions of the property: “Best fishing”; “Ask any Victoria man about the hunting”; “the largest and most interesting lake in Vancouver Island”; “unsurpassed as a tourist resort and must become the most popular of western Canada”

Also note the prices: $5.500 to $6,250 for 20 acres of waterfront property.

Abbott & Sutherland was located in the Green Block, 1216 Broad Street in Victoria, This Heritage Building is still standing and is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?

1946 Advertisement for Firestone Tires and the Gray Motor Company

Historic Duncan Advertisements

Automobile Advertisements 1940-1949

As part of our series on Historic Duncan Advertisements, Automobile Advertisements, 1940-1949here is a 1946 advertisement for Firestone Tires and its Victoria and Duncan dealers. In 1946,  the Firestone Tires dealer in Duncan was Gray Motor Company, whose Duncan dealership was located at 261 Government Street, at the corner of Government Street and Kenneth Street.

Notice the “Tire Rationing Removed” in the upper right corner of the advertisement. Tires had been rationed during World War II (1939-1945).

1946 advertisement for Firestone Tires and Gray Motor Company, which was located at the corner of Kenneth Street and Government Street (Duncan Sightseeing collection)
1946 advertisement for Firestone Tires and Gray Motor Company, which was located at the corner of Kenneth Street and Government Street (Duncan Sightseeing collection)

The Gray Motor Company dealership was located at what is now 251 Government Street. Here is a map showing that location:

Here is a Google Street View image of 251 Government Street at Kenneth Street:


Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?

1939 Advertisement For McLaughlin-Buick and Davis-Drake Motors Ltd.

Historic Duncan Advertisements

Automobile Advertisements 1930-1939

As part of our series on Historic Duncan Advertisements, Automobile Advertisements 1930-1939here is a 1939 advertisement for McLaughlin-Buick and its Victoria and Duncan dealers. In 1939,  the McLaughlin-Buick dealer in Duncan was Davis-Drake Motors Ltd., whose Duncan dealership was located at the corner of Government Street and Kenneth Street. Davis-Drake Motors Ltd. also had a Victoria dealership at 900 Fort Street.

1939 advertisement for McLaughlin-Buick and Davis-Drake Motors, which was located at the corner of Kenneth Street and Government Street. (Duncan Sightseeing collection)
1939 advertisement for McLaughlin-Buick and Davis-Drake Motors, which was located at the corner of Kenneth Street and Government Street. (Duncan Sightseeing collection)

We think the Davis-Drake Motors dealership was located at what is now 251 Government Street. Here is a map showing that location:

Here is a Google Street View image of 251 Government Street at Kenneth Street:


Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?

1930 Advertisement For Vancouver Island Coach Lines

Historic Duncan Advertisements

Transportation Advertisements

As part of our series on Historic Duncan Advertisements, here is a 1930 advertisement for Vancouver Island Coach Lines showing the Duncan bus schedules at the time.

“A Streak of Orange…The Staccato Hum of the Exhaust, and It’s Gone!” LOL! It is unlikely any transportation company today would be advertising about “The Staccato Hum of the Exhaust” or “A Streak of Orange”. As for the “Streak of Orange” we are guessing the Vancouver Island Coach Lines buses of the period were painted orange. We are looking for a colour photo from the period to confirm that.

1930 advertisement for Vancouver Island Coach Lines showing the Duncan bus schedules. (Duncan Sightseeing collection)
1930 advertisement for Vancouver Island Coach Lines showing the Duncan bus schedules. (Duncan Sightseeing collection)

Vancouver Island Coach LInes is now owned by Wilson’s Transportation.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?

1947 Advertisement For The Opening of Bucky’s Sport Shop

Historic Duncan Advertisements

As part of our series on Historic Duncan Advertisements, here is a July 1947 advertisement in the Cowichan Leader announcing the opening of Bucky’s Sport Shop, 171 Craig Street, at the corner of Craig Street and Kenneth Street.

Although the Arcade Building mentioned in the advertisement has been demolished, Bucky’s Sport Shop is still in business at the same location.

1947 advertisement in the Cowichan Leader the opening of Bucky's Sport Shop. (Duncan Sightseeing collection)
1947 advertisement in the Cowichan Leader the opening of Bucky’s Sport Shop. (Duncan Sightseeing collection)

Here is a link to more information about Valentine Richard “Bucky” Kennett.

Here is a Google Street view image of the present day Bucky’s Sport Shop at the south west corner of Craig Street and Kenneth Street:


Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this post?

45 Craig Street, circa 1950

We came across this photograph of 45 Craig Street, circa 1950, when the building was occupied by Powel’s Men’s Wear.

The police officers in front of 45 Craig Street appear to be from the former B.C. Provincial Police, which was disbanded and replaced by the R.C.M.P. in August 1950,

45 Craig Street as Powel's Men's Wear, circa 1950, with B.C. Provincial Police officers in front. The building on the right was the Canadian bank of Commerce, now demolished. The CIBC branch now stands on that site. (Note: we are currently checking for the source of this photo)
45 Craig Street as Powel’s Men’s Wear, circa 1950, with B.C. Provincial Police officers in front. The building on the right was the Canadian Bank of Commerce, now demolished. The CIBC branch now stands on that site. (Note: we are currently checking for the source of this photo)

The building at the right of the photo was the Canadian Bank of Commerce building, now demolished and replaced by the current CI.B.C. branch at the same site.

Here is how 45 Craig Street appears now from approximately the same angle.

45 Craig Street. Built in 1922 by architect Douglas James for Harold F. Prevost
45 Craig Street. Built in 1922 by architect Douglas James for Harold F. Prevost

45 Craig Street was designed and built in 1922 by architect Douglas James for Harold Fairfax Prevost, who used it for his stationery business. Harold Fairfax Prevost was also Mayor of Duncan.

45 Craig Street is now Just Jake’s Restaurant.

Here is a photo of Harold Fairfax Prevost, who had 45 Craig Street built in 1922.

Harold Fairfax Prevost, circa 1930 as Mayor of Duncan (Photo courtesy of City of Duncan)
Harold Fairfax Prevost, circa 1930 as Mayor of Duncan (Photo courtesy of City of Duncan)
William Bruce Powel, of Powel's Mens' Wear, in Masonic regalia, circa 1958
William Bruce Powel, of Powel’s Mens’ Wear, in Masonic regalia, circa 1958 (courtesy of Temple Lodge, No.33)

Totem Pole Maintenance Update – August 2016

In the fall of 2015 four totem poles from the City of Duncan collection were removed from public display and placed in a City of Duncan Public Works facility for maintenance.

These poles were Eagle Raven Bear, Pole of Wealth. Raven Stealing The Sun and The Feast

Pole of Wealth (front) and The Feast (rear), during restoration, 2016
Pole of Wealth (front) and The Feast (rear), during restoration, 2016
Eagle Raven Bear and Raven Stealing The Sun poles during maintenance, 2016.
Eagle Raven Bear and Raven Stealing The Sun totem poles during maintenance, 2016.

These poles have now been repaired and put back on public display.

Eagle Raven Bear, Government Street at Station Street
Eagle Raven Bear, Government Street at Station Street
Pole of Wealth, Government Street at E.J. Hughes Place.
Pole of Wealth, Government Street at E.J. Hughes Place.
Raven Stealing The Sun, Station Street at Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C.
Raven Stealing The Sun, Station Street at Canada Avenue, Duncan, B.C.
The Feast, Canada Avenue and Kenneth Street
The Feast, Canada Avenue and Kenneth Street

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?

 

Update On Totem Pole Maintenance

Sea and Sky totem pole, downtown Duncan, B.C. Top of pole showing Thunderbird

As we reported in a previous post in February 2016, four totem poles from the City of Duncan totem pole collection have been removed from public display and are currently being stored in a City of Duncan facility, awaiting maintenance.

Four City of Duncan totem poles in a city maintenance facility, May 2016.
Four City of Duncan totem poles in a city maintenance facility, May 2016.

These four totem poles are: Pole of Wealth, The Feast, Eagle Raven Bear and Raven Stealing The Sun.

The Feast (background) and Pole of Wealth (foreground) in a City of Duncan maintenance facility, May 2016.
The Feast (background) and Pole of Wealth (foreground) in a City of Duncan maintenance facility, May 2016.

Pole of Wealth was carved in 1988 by Norman John and is usually displayed in China Garden at the intersection of Government Street and E.J. Hughes Place. The Feast is usually displayed on the east side of Canada Avenue between Kenneth Street and the Cowichan Valley Museum, located in the former E&N Railway Station. Continue reading Update On Totem Pole Maintenance