St. Mary’s Somenos Anglican Cemetery is located on Somenos Road, south of Drinkwater Road, in North Cowichan, B.C.
The Anglican Church building which used to stand on this site was moved in 1970 to Port Renfrew, where it is still being used as a community hall.
You might also want to see St. Peter’s Quamichan Anglican Church and Cemetery.
Here are some notable figures in City of Duncan history who are buried in St. Mary’s Somenos Anglican Cemetery:
- Douglas William BARKER (1919-2003) – Mayor of Duncan 1983-87. Started the City of Totems project.
- Claude Alfred GREEN (1904-2003) – businessman. Built 145-149 Kenneth Street in 1949.
- J. Islay MUTTER (1874-1950) – Reeve of North Cowichan and Mayor of Duncan
- George Septimus POTTS – associated with construction of 131 Station Street.
- Samuel ROBINSON – building contractor; built the Green Door at 126 Ingram Street in 1903.
- George Henry SAVAGE – Mayor of Duncan
- Hugh George SAVAGE – owner and publisher of Cowichan Leader newspaper. Built 151-155 Craig Street in 1929 for his newspaper offices.
We will add more names to this list over time.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?