The Cowichan Merchants Building is a landmark structure with frontage on Station Street, Craig Street and Government Street in downtown Duncan. The Cowichan Merchants Building was built in 1912 to replace an earlier structure, built in 1910, which burned down in a major downtown fire on 25 September 1911. The original design for this building was by Victoria architect Alexander Maxwell Muir.
The Cowichan Merchants Building was designed as a department store and was used for that purpose until 1995, after which it was renovated into its current configuration as offices on the second and third floors with stores on the main floor. Continue reading Featured Historic Duncan Building For March 2016 – the Cowichan Merchants Building