Christopher Dobson (died 1937, aged 74) is associated with several buildings in Duncan: 101 Craig Street (which he built in the 1890s for his carriage making and wheelwright business), the Duncan Masonic Temple, 163 Canada Avenue (as an active member of Temple Lodge, No.33 he played a leading role in planning and building the Duncan Masonic Temple in 1912) and his former residence at 220 Beech Road.
Here is a brief biographical sketch of Christopher Dobson taken from his local newspaper obituary in 1937:
“Dobson – Mr. Christopher Dobson, well-known citizen of Duncan who first came here 50 years ago, passed away in Duncan Hospital early on Tuesday morning at the age of 74. He had been in the hospital two weeks.
Mr. Dobson was born in Yorkshire. He came to Canada in 188x [illegible in original], living in Victoria for a year before coming to Duncan. He was a wheelwright by trade, and established a carriage building business in what is now the Hattie building on Craig Street. Later, he sold the first bicycles in Duncan.
He sold out his business in 1904 to Mr. D.R. Hattie, and went back to England, where he was married. He remained there for seven years before returning to Duncan and taking up residence on Wharncliffe Road.
Mr. Dobson was a keen supporter of cricket, and helped the Cowichan club in many ways as well as making and repairing bats for members. He was an honorary member of the club.
He leaves his widow, a brother Mr. William Dobson, in Duncan, and two other brothers and two sisters in England.
The funeral service will take place to-day at 3 p.m., at St. John’s Church, burial to be in St. Peter’s Churchyard, Quamichan. The Rev. J [illegible in original] will officiate. Mr. R.W. Whidden is handling funeral arrangements.”
Source: Cowichan Leader, 1 April 1937